Most of us who have online businesses work from home. Unfortunately, for some, working from home is a perfect recipe for a disaster. In this article we will look at 7 ways to improve your online business when working from home.
At home, there are many distractions that compete for our attention, time and focus. Children, spouse, friends, favorite TV shows, the fridge, the outdoors and the phone are just a few of the inevitable distractions.
In addition, working from home allows us a lax attitude that enables us to distract ourselves by checking our email, surfing online, connecting with our Facebook friends and on…and on…and on.
As an owner of a home business you must always remember the reason why you wanted to start your online home business. Did you set out to do it to be closer to your children, to have the freedom to work at your convenience, to make a good living online, to escape your mundane 9 – 5 job?
Irrespective of what drove you to the decision to work from home, in order to be successful you need to treat and respect your home online business the same way as you would respect a business at an office.
Few simple tips to help you stay focused when working from home
- Set a separate area of your house as your home office. It could just be a small nook in a corner of a larger room.
- Explain to your family and friends that when you are in your “office” you do not want to be disturbed. Many people have a preconceived idea that if one is working from home he/she is not really working. Don’t let anyone think that.
- Schedule your time and be consistent. Create a daily schedule. If you decide to be at your desk at 9:am, be there. Don’t start working at 11:am. Always dedicate a specific number of hours to your work day. Never work less than that.
- Be productive while in your office. The amount of money you make online will be directly proportional to your productivity. The time spent on creating an awesome sales or squeeze page will bring you more money than equivalent time spent socializing with your Facebook friends or surfing online.
- Devote a certain amount of time to your email. If you find you are getting too many unwanted emails, ruthlessly unsubscribe from the ones that do not provide you with a real value.
- Consider a virtual assistant if you find that you are spending too much time on nonproductive, yet necessary business activities.
- Take breaks, just as you would at a business office away from home. You need the breaks to stretch, to relax your eyes and mind and to keep yourself nourished.
You can definitely succeed if your online business is based from home. All you need to do is to stay dedicated to your business, focused, disciplined and productive.
Tell me. Is working from home working from you? Perhaps you can share some other tips that will help. I’d love to hear. Please leave a comment.