Every year on January first almost 50 percent of people make New Year’s resolutions. Most of these resolutions are broken by the following day or at most the following week. By the end of the year only about 8 percent of the people would have kept their resolutions.
Whether you make the new resolutions on New Year’s day or sometimes during the year, you need to follow a few steps in order to successfully keep them.
1. Set realistic goals – most of the time people do not succeed because their goals are not realistic. Let me give you an example. A friend of mine has her own business (and has had it for at least 7 years). Currently she is making about 500 dollars online per month, selling her products. Her New Year’s resolution is to sell 1000 dollars worth of products per day. That is completely unrealistic, especially considering she does not even have a plan in place on how to achieve it.
2. Make a workable plan to help you to achieve your goal. Let’s continue with my friend’s situation. A more realistic plan for her would be to double her sales in a month. Given that she is already making sales online, she needs to improve on what is already working for her to boost her sales. Once she doubles her sales, she should continue to improve what is working for her to make more and more money online. If she does that she may eventually reach her goal of making 1000 dollars per day.
3. Track your progress. If you don’t track your progress you can never be sure what is working for you and what is not working towards achieving your goals. Without knowing what is working and what is not, it’s like gambling. You are leaving everything to chance. And, like with gambling, eventually you’ll lose.
4. Anticipate obstacles and identify triggers that lead you off course. Identify your obstacle and develop a plan on how to overcome your obstacles. Below are a few of the common triggers that stand in a way of your success.
- Focus – The most common obstacle in online business is losing your focus. Facebook and other social media are the worst distractors. So is surfing online. In both cases you may start with a goal in mind but before you know it, a couple of hours have passed by and you have nothing to show for being on your computer all this time.
- Perfectionism – this is one of the greatest obstacles for many people. It is the main cause of procrastination and the inability to move forward. Accept “Good Enough” and move on!
- Consistency – Consistent action breeds success. Let’s take blogging, for example. The most successful bloggers blog regularly. Be that once per week or every day, the crux of their success is that they feed their readers with new content regularly. Their readers anticipate and look forward to their new posts. If the consistency is not there, the readers lose interest and abandon the blog. As a result, the traffic to the blog suffers and so does the income, by the way.
- Tiredness – Most of us are not even aware that we are tired when we work online. It is important to take periodical breaks from the work we do, even during what you consider a workday. Take a coffee break, take a lunch away from your computer, go for a brisk walk and enjoy the fresh air. Breaks help you clear up your mind and make you more productive when you return to your computer.
5. Get support and a mentor. Most people stubbornly resist getting support and a mentor. Getting a mentor is the most effective way to get ahead and to succeed, providing you follow the instruction (following instructions is crucial, and that’s where many people fail).
When you get a mentor, you generally also become a part of a group of like-minded people who have similar goals. A relationship with these people will motivate you. People within a group feed off each others successes and this is priceless.
So with that in mind, here are my resolutions for 2015:
But in the end, perhaps making New Year’s resolutions is a wrong way to go. The better way, in my opinion, is to consider each day as a new beginning. And each day we should aim at making small goals and continuous improvements. If we remain focused and consistent success will come.
Wishing you happy New Year, great success in 2015 and lots of joy and happiness throughout the year.