Last week I told you how to protect your blog from botnet hackers. In that post I suggested that you change your admin username to something that is not so easy to crack. Many people still use “admin” as the username because earlier on, during WordPress set up, it was used as default. A number of marketers still use and recommend this user name even today. This is wrong and if you have done it yourself, I will show you an easy way to change admin username on WordPress blog and make your blog more secure.
Unfortunately, the admin username cannot just be deleted and many people are stuck trying to change it. If you follow the images and the explanations below you will be able to change admin username in no time.
Of course, you can also apply this same technique to other than “admin” usernames. The idea behind changing usernames is that you make them different than your site’s name, short form of a site name, “login” or anything that is easy to crack. Choose a username that will contain, variation of capital an small letters, numbers, symbols. It does not have to be a long one, 10 character mix is pretty sufficient.
1. In your dashboard click on Users
2. When the users windows opens click on “Add New”
3. Fill out new user information
- Add a new username
- Input a new email address. You can use any email address including the one for your website, such as firstname.lastname@example.org, even if it directs to the same email address you used previously.
- In the area for the names use the same name as you have for the original user.
- In the circled area select the role of the new user as administrator. Because the new user was assigned Administrator role he/she can delete other users.
- [hilight color=”FFFF00″]Log out[/hilight]
- Log in using the new username.
- Go back to Users and you will find both the admin and the new user listed there.
- Delete the admin user. [hilight color=”FFFF00″]Make sure that you attribute (assign) all the posts to the new user (see below)[/hilight].
As you can see this is really an easy way to change admin username on a WordPress blog. Please make sure you do this small yet important change in order to add another protective layer against hackers. It will only take a couple of minutes, but the time spent is well worth it.
If you have not done so yet, have a look at the post on protecting your blog from botnets. There you will find 5 simple steps to secure your blog and protect it from the despicable hacking criminals.
Hope you enjoyed the article and found it useful. Please contact me if you have any questions. Please leave a comment. You know I love hearing from you.