Internet has opened previously unthinkable opportunities to small and large businesses. Providing your business is not limited to a very small and restricted local local area, internet gives you the ability to become global and expose your business, your products and services to millions and millions of people worldwide. This incredible feat can be accomplished through internet marketing. This article is a brief introduction to internet marketing for beginners. We’ll also cover the different types internet marketing.
The Internet really became popular in the early 90’s. Since then its popularity has grown immensely. Back in 1998 the average number of searches per day was just under 10,000. Fast forward to today and that number has skyrocketed to well over 1 trillion per year.
That alone is an indication of how popular Internet marketing is. It should also tell you how profitable it can be. In fact, as compared with traditional offline forms of advertising, such as, television, newspapers and magazines, the Internet offers significant advantages. Some of the major ones are:
- Global reach
- Instantaneous mode of conveying marketing messages
- Cost effectiveness and a high ROI (return on investment)
By now, Internet marketing revenues significantly surpass the traditional forms marketing and advertising.
These days, not having online presence and not getting involved in some form of Internet marketing is “suicidal” for a business in a long run. Even if the business is a local business, an online presence is a must for success.
What Is Internet Marketing
Internet marketing is also known as IM, online marketing and web marketing. Within the article be using “Internet” and “online” marketing interchangeably.
By definition Internet marketing is a form of promoting or marketing something online via the World Wide Web and email. This includes promoting products, services, brand, or even yourself as a blogger.
Internet marketing merges two of the most important aspects of marketing together. That would be the technical and the creative. That means advertising, development, design and sales are all one. In addition, online marketing also deals with creating and placing ads throughout the various stages of customer engagement cycle.
Types Of Internet Marketing
So how exactly does Internet marketing work? It’s made up of several different strategies that all work together to help you drive traffic, increase conversions and make sales.
There are various methods that fall under the umbrella of Internet marketing, all with their own specific designs, end goals and strategies.
Savvy online marketers implement more than one method, and best case scenario all of the types in order to appropriately diversify their marketing strategies to achieve the desired results and acquire the highest amount of leads that can be converted into customers.
Each of these strategies will work to help boost the online visibility of your business.
- Email Marketing – Marketing strategy that utilizes email to reach customers or potential customer.
- Social Media Marketing – As the name applies, social media marketing utilizes social media to promote the brand or a specific product. At the present time, the most commonly used social platform are Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus, Pinterest, LinkedIn and Instagram.
- Video Marketing – This type of online marketing involves utilizing videos in your marketing campaigns to promote your brand, product or service. Often customer testimonials are used as well.
- Display Advertising – Advertising banners displayed on other people’s websites or blogs to drive traffic to the advertised (business) content. Not only does this type of Internet marketing drives traffic, it also increases product awareness.
- Mobile Marketing – It is marketing on a mobile device, for example, a smart phone. This is a very popular method and it can offer customers time and location sensitive, personalized information that promote the business’ goods, services and ideas .
- Affiliate Marketing – Businesses pay an online retailers, e-commerce sites or blogs for each visitor or sales that these sites make for their brand.
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM) – Business is promoted through paid advertisement. This type of ads appear on search engine result pages. This includes PPC (Pay Per Click) paid placement, contextual advertising, and other similar types.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) -Unlike SEM this type of Internet marketing is free and relies on a natural process of displaying website or blog content on search engine result pages (SERPs). This method involves search engine optimizing of the website.
A business which wants to survive in the competitive markets of today must utilize Internet marketing as an important overall marketing strategy. It is less expensive than the traditional methods of advertising and yet the customer reach and potential sales can be significantly greater.
The key is to figure out which Internet marketing strategy will work best for your business. Don’t try to implement all the strategies at one time. This will never work. Start with one and add in others as you see success.
If you are not familiar with much of the Internet marketing terminology, you may want to access the Internet Marketing Dictionary For Beginners, I put together.